Monday, September 16, 2013

Dress Making

To all my fellow seamstresses out there, I am sewing my homecoming dress once more, zI am going to give you the advice I've learned over the past three years making dresses or anything really.
  • Mockups are your friends: if you are using a pattern, you want to make sure you pattern fits, if it don't fit you, likely the cute article of clothing wont fit you, even pinning the pattern together and holding it up to see will work, but if you do mockups I guarantee that your pieces will turn out!
  • Learn from your mistakes: If you make a mistake, depending on what it is, you will have to a) fix it, or b) see if it's noticeable, you can't fix an accidental slit in your bodice. true story, I made an eyelet hole in my prom dress, but it wasn't noticeable at all, so I got away with it! You've got your mistakes, and your failures, but we are DIYers, we don't fail, we make something else! 
  • Measure: this is important, no matter what shape, or size, this is important. You can't always count on being the same size you were last year, it doesn't work, your body changes, and so does everyone else. Just look at Megan Fox and all these other people over the years, they change, shift. We deal!
  • Test: Test every thing! from fabric and steam, to how something fits! and believe me, it comes in handy to make sure something correctly! My first Homecoming Dress was really loose, we were doing our best, but it didn't fit correctly, things move, its up to you to find out if they move reasonably. Is that dress so tight it puckers? Is it loose where your boobs are coming out and your bra is showing? 
These questions are important, leave a comment below if you have anything to ask or add!  

No comments:

Post a Comment